The Toronto Marlies quest for the Calder Cup continues tonight as game 1 of the Western Conference Semi-Finals kicks off in Chicago at 8:30 pm ET. The Marlies will be taking on the Chicago Wolves, AHL affiliate of the St. Louis Blues in the best-of-seven series.
The Marlies were last in action on Thursday, May 1st, where they completed the sweep of their first round opponents, the Milwaukee Admirals in Game 3 at Ricoh Coliseum. Jerry D’Amigo currently leads the Marlies in playoff scoring with 6 points over three games.
The Wolves finished off the season first in the Mid-West division and second overall in the Western Conference. Chicago faced the Rochester Americans in Round 1. The series was decided in Game 5 where the Wolves defeated the Amerks by a score of 4-2. Dmitrij Jaskin scored the game-winning goal for the Wolves on Sunday and currently leads the AHL in playoff scoring with 7 points over 5 games.
The Marlies and Wolves split the season series 1-1, with both teams scoring 4 goals a piece in the match-up. For a full breakdown of how the two teams stacked up against one another this past season, check out the Round 2 preview infographic.
Players to Watch: Chicago
- Dmitrij Jaskin: Leads the Wolves and the AHL in playoff scoring with 7 points, 5 of which game on the power play. The left winger spent the end of the regular season with the St. Louis Blues and was reassigned to the Wolves the morning of their first playoff game in Round 1.
- Jake Allen: The All-Star goaltender appeared in 52 games for the Wolves in the regular season and finished off the season first in the league in Wins (33), goals against average (2.03), save percentage (0.928), and shutouts (7).
Players to Watch: Toronto
- Sam Carrick: Carrick tallied three goals over three games in Round 1 against the Milwaukee Admirals and currently leads the team in goals scored. He sits second on the team for SOG with 11.
- Jerry D’Amigo: Tied for second in the AHL for playoff scoring, D’Amigo currently leads the Marlies with 6 points over 3 games.
- Drew MacIntyre: The Marlies goaltender currently leads the AHL playoffs in goals against average (1.33), save percentage (0.955) and shutouts (1).
Puck drop is at 8:30 pm ET, catch all of the action on LeafsTV. Don’t forget to follow the official Marlies Twitter account (@TorontoMarlies) and join us for the #MarliesLive live chat. We’ll be looking for the #MarliesLive Tweet of the Night and the winner will take home 4 tickets to a Round 2 playoff home game. There’s just a few rules and regs you need to know about so read them here.