The Toronto Marlies turn their attention Sunday to the Lake Erie Monsters, a team they have only met once so far this season.
Despite having won only two of their last eight, the Monsters aren’t a team the Marlies can afford to take lightly. The divisional foe handed the Toronto a 4-0 loss their first time in town, and rank third in the league with a 8-4-0 record while on the road. That record is much for the reason of the team’s sixth place standing in the Western Conference, one point ahead of the Marlies with 22.
Toronto hopes to close out their three-in-three weekend the same as the last two, with a win. The Marlies will say goodbye to the crammed format until mid-March.
Here are my notes ahead of the game:
- The Marlies are one of only three teams to have a single loss on home ice
- Both Matt Frattin and Keith Aucoin have four points over the past three games
- Marlies powerplay has scored in each of the past two games
- Lake Erie forward Mitchell Heard attended Maple Leafs camp in 2011
- Monsters rookie Mike Sgarbossa holds the league’s third spot with 17 points as a rookie
- Keep an eye out for a trio of Colorado draft picks Stefan Elliott (2nd round, 2009), Tyson Barrie (3rd round, 2009) and Calvin Pickard (2nd round, 2010)
If you’re not coming down to Ricoh for the 3pm game – which I really suggest you should – you can tune into all the action on Leafs TV as Joe Bowen and Greg Millen bring you the call from the ice. If radio is more your style, Jon Abbott and Bob McGill have you covered on TSN1050. If the internet is your thing (which I wouldn’t blame you, that’s where you’re reading this), then AHL Live has your back. The audio feed is always free and the video costs only a few dollars.
So did ya get all that? There might be a quiz at the end.
Lend me a follow on twitter (@chansler) as I’ll try to bring you all the lineup news and notes ahead of puck drop… but I really suggest you come out to the game.
EXPECTED MARLIES LINEUP
IN GOAL: #1 Mark Owuya
Ross – Kadri – Frattin
Hamilton – Aucoin – Abbott
Deschamps – Zigomanis – Ashton
D’Amigo – Acton – Scott
Gardiner – Kostka
Ranger – Holzer
Yeo – Gysbers