This could possibly be the most interesting test the Marlies have faced – and perhaps will face – all season.
The draft rankings of the Oklahoma City roster (AHL affiliate to the Edmonton Oilers) may be the most prestigious in all the AHL right now. The Barons boast seven selected in the second round to add to the six drafted in the NHL’s top 30, including two chosen first overall. Clutch goals, shootout goals and game winning goals have made Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins household names.
That’s not even including second round selection and massive summer free-agent Justin Schultz, the previous defensive partner of the Marlies’ own Jake Gardiner in University… oh, and did I mention he presently leads the league with 16 points in 12 games?
Alright enough build up already, here are my notes ahead of Tuesday’s school day game in Oklahoma City :
- The man leading the charge with four goals over the past three games, Leo Komarov, will not dress on Tuesday as he serves a one game suspension as consequence for an illegal check to the head on Saturday
- The Marlies have won three straight, two of which the team trailed entering the third period
- Toronto has scored eight third period goals over the past three games, five more than the eight games previous
- An upswing for the Marlies special teams have seen the powerplay convert on four of the past 11 chances and the penalty kill overcome seven of times shorthanded
- Oklahoma City has lost three of their past four
- The last meeting between the two clubs was a 3-1 Toronto victory, part of a five game Western Conference Finals series in which the Marlies outscored the Barons 17-9
Feel like listening in at work or have the day off from school? Or maybe you specifically took the day off just to make sure you didn’t miss today’s morning game. In any case, make sure you tune in on AHL Live starting at 11:30 EST as Jon Abbott will bring you all the action live from the Cox Convention Centre in Oklahoma City. The audio feed is free, but for a few dollars you can catch all the video action.
Lend me your follow on twitter (@chansler) as I will try to get you all the lineup news and notes ahead of the early start time.
EXPECTED MARLIES LINEUP
IN GOAL: #40 Jussi Rynnas
McKegg – Aucoin – Zigomanis
Kadri – Colborne – Scott
Hamilton – Ryan – D’Amigo
Deschamps – Acton – Ashton
Gardiner – Kostka
Fraser – Holzer
Yeo – Ranger