This past Tuesday, Dave Andrews, Dave Poulin and Steve Spott announced that the Marlies will be playing Färjestad BK of the Swedish Hockey League on Saturday, February 15th in an exhibition game as part of this year’s AHL All-Star Festivities. Färjestad will also be facing this year’s AHL All-Star team during the AHL All-Star Classic in St. John’s on February 11th and 12th.
Färjestad BK (Full name Färjestad Bollklub) is based out of Karlstad and considered one of the most successful hockey clubs in Sweden, playing in 19 league finals and winning nine Swedish league championships, including four since 2002. The team plays out of Löfbergs Arena, which has a capacity of 8,674.
“To come and play the Marlies in Toronto will be great,” said CEO Håkan Loob. “Toronto has been the ‘hockey town’ of the world for most Swedes since Börje Salming’s days in the early 70’s. We are very excited to represent the SHL in the All-Star Classic and then against one of the AHL’s top teams.”
Here are a few facts about the SHL:
History and Facts
- Formed in 1975 – Professional Ice Hockey League composed of 12 teams in Sweden
- Formerly known (until 2013) as the Swedish Elite League (Elitserien)
- Viewed as the top league in Sweden
- Most attended league in Europe in 2010-2011
- Currently 12 teams compete in the SHL
- The SHL has hosted an outdoor game every year since 2009. Färjestad BK played in the very first one vs. Frölunda HC on December 28, 2009 – Game set a new record for ice hockey attendance in Sweden – 31,144
- Season runs from late September – Early March
- Playoffs from March – April
- 55 games per season
- Top 6 teams make the playoffs with the first place team being awarded a cash bonus.
- Teams 7-10 play a best of three series to see who the final two teams to make the playoffs are
- Two lowest teams are sent to a relegation tournament where you must finish top two to remain in the SHL
Tickets for the game vs. Färjestad are on sale now. Click here to purchase or call the team’s ticket line at 416-597-PUCK (7825).
Watch the full announcement from the press conference here: