With four games to go in the regular season and playoffs looming, Tuesday’s matchup between the Marlies and Barons brings back memories of the 2012 Western Conference Finals. Oddly enough though, as they way things stand at the moment, it may better reflect the opening round of the 2013 post-season.
Toronto sits in second and although a run for the top spot is possible, eyes right now are on fending off the Griffins only one point behind. Oklahoma City sits seventh. The Barons playoff hopes are not solidified, but the likelihood is darn high. If the regular season had ended yesterday, the Marlies would hold home ice advantage in a conference quarterfinals matchup against the Barons.
So as we head into Tuesday’s game, here are six things to chew on ahead of puck drop:
- The Marlies are coming off two straight losses to Abbotsford – eerily similar to their final trip West last season
- Tyler Biggs made his professional debut on Sunday in a 3-1 loss, finishing the game with four shots and an even plus/minus
- Andrew MacWilliam will wear number 43 when he appears his first pro game
- The plus/minus stat has always been my kinda thing, so check out these season numbers: Korbinian Holzer, +12; Paul Ranger, +16; Kevin Marshall, +17
- Oklahoma City has collected at least a point in 10 of their last 11
- Tune into all the action starting at 7pm on Rogers TV and AHL Live
As always, catch me on twitter (@chansler) for lineup news and notes ahead of the game
9:00am – The Toronto Marlies announced forward Josh Leivo has signed an Amateur Try-Out contract (ATO) and will join the club immediately. Leivo was drafted 86th overall (third round) by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. He will wear #48 with the Marlies.
EXPECTED MARLIES LINEUP
IN GOAL: #34 Drew MacIntyre
Abbott – Zigomanis – Scott
D’Amigo – McKegg – Leivo
Ross – Acton – Biggs
Devane – Ryan – Broll
Rielly – Yeo
Ranger – Komisarek
Marshall – Blacker