Seventy-five down, one to go.
The Marlies are guaranteed the second spot in the West regardless of how this game ends. With no disrespect to past teams, the rosters of the past two playoff-bound Marlies squads have been arguably the best since the club left St. John’s. Fitting that they close out the season against the IceCaps.
Ahead of the final contest of the regular season, here are six things to thing about:
- Marlies have collected 86 wins in 151 games (two seasons) heading into Sunday’s contest, collecting 190 points along the way
- The Marlies could face any of the following four teams in the first round of the playoffs; Houston, Oklahoma City, Rochester or Milwaukee
- In the first two games of the team’s three-in-three weekend, Greg Scott has collected four points (2g, 2a) and Spencer Abbott’s picked up three (2g, 1a)
- Marlies are 2-2-2-1 in their previous seven season closers, after their first four seasons the very same stat line read 1-1-1-1
- Toronto is 5-1-0-1 against the St. John’s IceCaps this season, losing Saturday afternoon in a shootout
- Tune into all the action starting at 3pm on Leafs TV, TSN 1050 and AHL Live starting at 3pm
Give Marlies play-by-play man Jon Abbott (@HockeyAbbs) a follow on twitter for lineup news and notes ahead of puck drop.