Do I spoil the surprise now, or do I wait to include it in one of my six points to think about? That is the question.
Oh what the heck. Why not?
The Toronto Marlies could clinch a playoff berth with a win against Abbotsford. Exciting, isn’t it? With only six games remaining in the regular season, the post-season seems to be within arms reach. The Heat however have the happy job of playing spoiler. Already eliminated from playoff contention, each win garnered by the Abbotsford club helps upset the balance of post-season seeding.
Here are six things to chew on ahead of Friday’s 10pm EST start in Abbotsford:
- Marlies announced Thursday that the Maple Leafs 2011 first round pick Tyler Biggs would be joining the team as his OHL team was eliminated from the playoffs – had the pleasure of doing a neat feature with both Biggs and fellow first round’er Stuart Percy
- Mike Zigomanis was named the recipient of the Marlies IOA/AHL Man of the Year award and was thus nominated for the league’s award – how ’bout a little 20 questions with Ziggy
- What the heck are we going to do with all these rookies? Play them, I guess. Nine of the 20 players dressed last Sunday were playing out their first AHL season – three scored, three had assists, one got in a fight and another was the winning netminder
- The Marlies are 2-4-0-0 against the Abbotsford Heat this season – the good news tho is that the last game was a win for team blue
- One of my favourite Marlies moments came against Abbotsford – Zigomanis’ overtime winner last season lifted the Marlies past the Heat and into the conference finals
- Tune into all the action starting at 10pm EST on TSN 1050 and AHL Live
Catch me on twitter (@chansler) for lineup news and notes ahead of the game – there’s bound to be a few.
Here’s Biggs’ interview with Leafs TV from last night moments after walking into the team hotel in Abbotsford